Thursday, March 9, 2017

but I'm just a woman

I, on occasion, tend to help people that I would never ever want to see again. The ones that when I see God up close I'm going to say, "can I have this one time please let me just tell them how it is." The kind you don't want to hold your tongue and slap them a little without any repercussions.

I have a habit of saying the same words when helping people, so one day a few years back I did my usual one on one conversation with someone that became my customer. He began to get irritated by me and told me that I shouldn't be speaking to him in the first place because I was a woman. How should I expect him to answer me when I was but a woman. You see that is the day I might have showed him that a woman might just one up his intellectual game. You see he speaks with an accent but his English is getting better. He forgets that he is not in his home country where women are belittled. He forgets that if  I actually knew what he did for a living and I had the will power I would, and could become his boss. But I try not to let this man's way of life get to me. Because he doesn't know me and it's more out of pity to think he might have daughters and wonder how he is with his wife. Just a miserable man.
a photo I took of graffiti art down Deep Ellum

I've been sick this past week. I hate when I'm sick. I feel weak and hate that I don't want to do anything or go anywhere. I don't know if Heather likes the break with social life that makes me want to hide from the world when I'm sick.

That special person came in today, the one that I always pray just a little extra when I see him. He assumes his facial position as I try not to roll my eyes while looking at him. I try not to speak to him, the less the better. I've been taking all kinds of medicines from me being sick so haven't yet fully gained my strength. I'm having to lift a big box probably fifty pounds possibly more from him dropping it off. Remember a woman to him is but an object. So he won't lift a finger to help. Just steps back to watch me struggle. But remember I prayed extra to God to not let this man see me fail. I said God help me not show weakness. I picked that box up like if it had weighed but five pounds with both my arms. He didn't say a word. He thought I couldn't do it. He thought I was but a woman. I showed him, didn't I.

You see I seem to be but just a woman. A woman without strength. A woman that would need, in his case, a man to help me. A woman that can only be allowed to cook, to clean, and to obey. But he was wrong. I am a woman that hides my strength because I only need it at times to prove that a woman can be, and is as strong as a man. So with time he will see that he is but a pitiful man. Just that...a man. For this woman had one up her sleeve. I took weight training back in my college years and even though some of my belly fat has gotten in the way I still have tricks up my sleeve. A woman can also work towards something, the same as a man.  Through weight training I proved to be just as strong or stronger than him.

So with the help of the skills and my extra praying to God, I got him today, for it was a mighty glorious but small victory. Yet the victory of a WOMAN on this national woman's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment