Friday, July 19, 2013

trickster

Sharing a story with you. I encounter all kinds of people on a daily basis. Some crazier than others. I try my best to be nice to the elders because my parents fall in that category and well I want them to get treated with respect. Conversation, how does it end the way it does? You start talking about something which leads to something else and forget what the original question was. I don't remember how a conversation with an elder started today but I do remember how it ended.



She tells me that she feels as though her house is haunted. I told her that I wouldn't doubt it. Things keep being out of place. Like someone is playing tricks on her. I joked and said they are having harmless fun. She laughed and said that he was playing tricks on her and that she tells him to stop. I asked her how she knew it was a him and had it been for a long time. She told me that it started a couple of months ago. Her son in law a trickster married her daughter and was always playing tricks on her. He would pretend to trip her while she would be sweeping the floor and she would find herself hitting his butt with the broom. He went to the doctor October of last year and was diagnosed with cancer. I didn't want to ask what kind and she didn't tell me. I could tell it was hard for her to tell me since I could see she was fighting tears from her eyes. They didn't know how it had taken over his body so quickly and he didn't make it pass January this year. He was 30 years old. I hardly hear about the bond that mother n laws have with their son n laws but you could tell that she missed him.

What a young age to lose a new member to the family.  She said " it's strange how all the good people leave us" and smiled. She told me that she has another son n law that is a real butt.

She told me that she heard that they leave when they are reincarnated to finish what they hadn't finished in their past life. To comfort her I told her if you think about it the good ones leave because as the world keeps moving forward the worse it becomes so they are spared from seeing it go to such waste. She told me she still talks to him so I told her there was no harm in it. It's just his way of saying he is still here.

I don't know what I said or did for her to share this story with me. Be kind to your elders they have seen so much more than us.

Sometimes when you least expect it a loved one will come by and say hi the only way they can.

You wonder how can someone that has left this place come back to try to relate a small message or gesture? At least I wondered that when it happened to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment