Tuesday, January 22, 2013

a three musketeers

hello friends

Have been out being busy with family life. A lot has been going on that its like a spanish novela. I have a lot planned for this year so bare with me as I give you new adventures for 2013.

I want to share with you a letter that dates back from when I was a little girl.

When things get rough we tend to have a family meeting at our parents house. We get together and talk about what needs to be done, how or who is in charge? I don't know how to explain it but as a family it keeps us closer, keeps us strong. An episode happened in our lives these past couple of weeks so it was meeting time. As we are having our meeting my dad brings out a bag and tells us to open it. As we go through the bag we couldn't believe the little treasures we found. He had through the years collected and kept our birthday cards or notes to him. We had so much fun reading them some were dated to be almost 25 years old. I always assumed our mother would keep our cards but never our father. We started reading them aloud and laughed couldn't believe we had written such words. Some still had birthday money saved in them. We then realized that we had stopped writing to our parents. As we read all the cards we came to the realization that we shouldn't have stopped. We didn't know how much it had meant to our father. Our day turned into years of remembering how those letters came about. Our frustration from earlier had changed to how family memories and laughs are what really matters.

I'm sharing this letter I wrote my father when I was a little girl. I barely knew how to write in english so my spanish wasn't any better. I was nine or ten when I wrote my dad this letter. Our father was a construction man, had been one for almost 37 years. He helped build streets and highways. I can assure you that you have driven your vehicle on a road he helped put together. His last project was the George Bush Turnpike he couldn't finish it because his health took a toll, he had to retire. His job required him to leave and work in other states. He hated it but it was his way of providing for his family. On one of his many times he had to leave us I wrote him this letter. I wrote how I hope he liked his letter and that I wished he didn't have to be so far. I told him how I had learned the new testament and now going to learn the old testament. How if he had any money when he came back if he could buy us all a three musketeers. These were our church going days. I still love god but realized that wasn't the church for us. By the end of the week whether it ended on a Friday or Saturday sometimes Sunday he would come home tired and tell us to open his lunch box and there would be one chocolate candy bar inside for me and my sisters to share. My two baby sisters didn't have teeth yet but when they started showing teeth we might have gotten lucky with two chocolate bars or king size to share. Those were the days, the good days when all you had to look forward to at the end of the week was a candy bar. Kids today wouldn't understand. I don't know why I wrote to my dad that we wanted a three musketeers that is today the least favorite candy bar. Heck my today would be a sugar free candy.

From the day that these letters came back into our lives we agreed to write to our father again didn't realize how important it was to him.

I don't want to think about the day that I won't have him but I would probably write him letters till I can't write anymore.

Write your dad a letter if he is no longer with you write it anyway who knows maybe he will still hear it.

Just in case you were wondering. I was upset to hear that I wouldn't be getting a toll tag free for life.    

No comments:

Post a Comment