Wednesday, March 23, 2016

meaning of their feathers

Sometimes people of different tribes get together and dance. They travel where mother earth needs them to go. This past weekend they came to the Dallas area, Carrolton city to be exact. Tribes from the state of Missouri and Oklahoma came to show us how they celebrate what God blesses us with here on earth. I admire how they keep their tradition strong. How they continue to speak the native tongue. I know that slowly it can disappear, but as long as the elders continue to teach the young, they can still keep it alive. For example, I speak Spanish but generations after me will not know the way of translation and it does bother me. I'd want people to never forget where they came from.

We got to see different types of dances and hear the music that follows the drum beat that makes you feel. Everything worn signifies something, from the color of the dress to the feathers on their heads. I've felt their cries and beats to their music.

On Sunday evenings we listen to 89.3 KNON. Listen to it at 6pm. see if it lets you feel the music. The sounds have often made my cry. It makes me wonder what it was like in that time. When ever the opportunity appears we go to the POW WOW. What is POW WOW, it's a gathering of North American Indians among friends to feast and celebrate by singing and dancing. They do invite you to eat with them. I want to witness in my time the way of the dance. To live it and hope that it won't disappear.

I'm not native, but I do get asked a lot. My fathers mother was a Mexican Indian who fell in love with a German who was orphaned at five years old. I take after my dads side of the family. Ironic when I think about it. The next POW WOW in the area is in September. I encourage you to give it a feel.


Remember the movie Finding Nemo? The movie is being dubbed in Navajo. That should be something interesting and wonderful for the Navajo people. That shows that where ever there is a voice there is a way of communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment