Thursday, July 5, 2012

the fourth

I missed the Irving parade this year.They have the best patriotic Fourth of July parade in the area. Remember I work in a crazy place so I will have to work on certain holidays. Since I missed the parade heather decided that we go see some fireworks to make up for it. In actuality people always say it's just safe to stay home they might be right but it's only once a year that America celebrates her birthday, so why not see fireworks.
She googled and came up with hearing the symphony play some sounds at Fair Park. It was no ordinary symphony but the Grammy nominated Dallas Wind Symphony. The plus was watching the firecrackers over the Cotton Bowl. We arrived in time to grab a blanket and sit to hear the music. There were so many people. To start they played the Star Spangled Banner. Every time I hear this song be it at a game, at a graduation I always tear up. It's an emotional song. I wasn't able to be in the military but had I, I would have chosen the army.
As the people passed by us while the symphony was playing I began to look (I'm a people watcher) I noticed all the different ethnic people there. I was wondering were they there for the fire in the sky show or because they were also glad to be celebrating America's birthday? I just kept thinking WOW. How so many different countries are now in America? So many people want to be here in this land of the free. I don't blame them. It's a great country. We may not like each other as people but we come together in need.
As the last score played they wanted for our military people to stand. When they reached to the air force one man in a wheel chair stood up with the help of a man sitting next to him and that was what I meant when I said we come together.
We walked over to see the fountain dance to the rhythm of music waiting for the fireworks.
As the fireworks went off over the Cotton Bowl one song played "Proud To Be An American" we can only be so lucky. All eyes were on the sky. All ages some for the first time. How this could have felt for a refugee new to America made us feel so proud to have such a great country to be envied.

Think about the people that must wonder what it's like to see the red white and blue fires in the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment