Sunday, July 8, 2012

postcards

Yesterday we had what we call a free Saturday. Free Saturday- a day that we don't have to be anywhere in the day time so we look up the paper and see where the estate sales are happening. As you guys know we love to search for treasures. We found quite a few treasures but the ones I love the most are the ones that have a story.
On our third house we came upon a guy that was selling three boxes of postcards. I love the ones that actually have writing on them. He was selling them cheap so we decided to take a box to a corner and go through it. Picture the boxes the size of shoe boxes filled end to end with post cards some blank and some with a note. We were going to go through all the boxes but gave up on just that first one. It took us quite a while but we came home with a few. Some dated back far as 1906 to 1970.
visiting china town san francisco 1949
People rarely write postcards anymore. They just send a text or a picture message. I don't know about you but a letter I felt always cheers anyone up. I love history and what was before today's time. So postcards are always a good find. My favorite is what seems to be a marriage license. How did this pieces of treasure slip out of someones hand and is now in a shoe box? Some are Christmas postcards, some Easter. How many of you even get a Christmas letter in the mail?
Writing letters in the mail are becoming a thing of the past. One postcard was even in keyboard type. I still remember when I was a kid I in the summer would write letters to friends on a typewriter. Brings back memories. When I lived in Kansas for awhile my sisters would write me letters and that was always something to look forward to.
christmas postcard



When was the last time you wrote a note?
Will someone remember you in handwriting?
Postcards what are they?

No comments:

Post a Comment