Saturday, September 19, 2015

momento

When we arrived Monday we didn't know that it was the fourteenth anniversary of the passing of eight people in a terrible accident that occurred on the island. We knew of the people and how they passed away. But hadn't realized it had been fourteen years. Early Monday was their memorial service. We arrived in the evening so stopped today to remember them. 
left from the memorial service

Fourteen years ago a tugboat hit a column of the causeway that connects the island to main land. It is the second largest bridge in Texas. The next morning heading to work people didn't expect for there to be a void of bridge missing and they ended falling into the bay and died. Volunteers with there own boats help transport people back and forth. Due to the accident there are now lights every so many feet that will flash to warn you if something is wrong with the bridge. Stop turn around.
my lock

Decided to check to see if a piece of trinket that I left there last year was still there. To my surprise it was. A couple of years ago I started carrying locks that I painted with special words on them. Wherever I would go to a place that I loved I placed a lock there. I was happy to see that it still was. I had painted it burgundy and wrote my pen name on it because of the salt and humidity in the air it turned the lock to a rustic look. You can barely see the writing on it. A little piece of me stays there. Maybe I'll start it again. One that I left in Deep Ellum lasted three years and no longer resides there. It's a form of art for me. I share it with you now. If you ever come upon one on your adventures it probably was left there by me.

There is talk about building a second bridge that would be eight miles long. If you've ever driven on the Queen Isabella causeway and felt that anxious feeling of being on it, wonder how many daredevils would crave to try the eight mile one?

No comments:

Post a Comment