Tuesday, April 16, 2013

on one knee

We were invited to a surprise birthday party here a couple of weeks ago. It had been planned for a while. You see we didn't really know the birthday girl that well and we didn't know what to expect. After much thought we decided to join the party. It was quite unique. Had an Elvis Presley impersonator and the Vegas theme going on. It had been a surprise birthday but something told me it was much more than that. They had a slide show and when I saw pictures on the screen it remind me of us. I love taking couple pictures after a while you see how you have grown, in my case how huge I was and how many haircuts my babe had gotten. Something told me that this slide show was going to be the real surprise. As soon as it was over she got on one knee and proposed to her girlfriend. It brought happy tears to my eyes. Here I was eyes wet, nose runny, and cheeks fluffy.

First I had never been a witness to an engagement and second I had never seen another lady propose to another lady. When Heather proposed to me it was back in 2006. She drew me a sketch folded the paper and gave it to me on one knee at our apartment. No witness around to witness our journey. Here I was feeling these emotions for someone I barely knew. Then I thought about the true meaning of my tears. The fact that here were two females that were in front of family, friends, even us declaring their love to want to marry each other. You might have seen your typical man and women but not this day. Love is love everyone deserves it. With the whole equality going on, on same sex marriages thinking it's not right to feel the way you do for another how do they know.

I'm not here to change your opinion on whether it's okay for same sex marriages to get married because believe me when I say that I don't want to see a lot of straight marriages happen but they do anyway. I'm here to say that just as you feel the happiness of one man and one women say "yes I will marry you" goes for everyone. The feeling is the same. The excitement is the same. I cried when my sisters got married so I would think that it would also apply to me. That day I also realized that even though the world is against you, you still take the world as your own. If someone is standing with a sign and say who are you to get married they don't realize that while they are against you, you still go on with your regular day planning. So while you picture the female crying and saying yes to the man that just proposed you also picture the female saying yes to the female that also got on her knee and proposed. After attending and witnessing such chapter in their lives I felt special knowing that they wanted us to be present for us to witness it. I would not have wanted to miss this for anything.

I don't normally like to blog about friends since I don't want anyone to feel jealousy but I just had to share this love story. So with this said want to wish Angel and Jessie much love and happiness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment