Wednesday, February 5, 2014

ZEStfest?

When you hear the word Zestfest what comes to mind? The first year I saw the bill board with this word  I actually thought of oranges. There was an announcement about the event coming to town. After the event happened found out what it was about. Zestfest is a festival that introduces your taste buds to spicy sauces and foods. The second year that it came to town, not going to lie, didn't seem that interested since I am not into spicy stuff. Yeah, I know this Mexican doesn't care for spicy foods. I do eat chips and hot sauce but not the real burn on your tongue hurt in your belly feeling. My partner wanted to go but didn't think she would enjoy taking me since I wasn't going to play along. So I promised her and myself that the next year it came along I would definitely take her.

taking the challenge (Heather Shoulders and Steph Dickinson)

I didn't think I would enjoy it but it's one of those things you do for your love. It seems to be held at the Irving Convention Center every year. It is a big room with several isles that you go up and down tasting the goods. They had spicy dips, spicy pickles, spicy margaritas, spicy coffees, spicy chocolate, and especially spicy sauces. The goal is for you to try the goods and buy the best tasting one. The one you will enjoy the rest of the year. Like the commercial where the grandmother says that "she puts that s!!! on everything". The thing that was interesting was that they had milk stations at almost every corner. We were there for quite some time. I didn't try a lot of tastings because the ones I did try made it to where my throat was burning. I am a big wuss when it comes to spicy foods so I got to try the other alternatives. There is something for everyone. I got to try flavored coffees, toffee, spicy chocolate, bought some no sugar added pecan pralines. I was bad I know it. They have a little of everything even sausage and one of my favorites, frozen wine.

My senorita and a friend took on a challenge that had men tapping out of the tasting. It's called Ca Johns Execution Station. Known for the Guinness's World Record on hottest pepper, the Carolina Reeper. Had men turning red, sweating, even one said that he couldn't feel his face. But these girls made it to the finish. I know I couldn't have done it. Takes certain taste buds and a strong stomach to handle all this hot pain. I was prepared with water while she held a milk jug. Didn't even break a sweat. That's my girl.

I recommend Zestfest to any one that wants to take the challenge. It's only an experience if you take on the challenge. If you don't like spicy foods don't go into their kitchen but if your friend or loved one enjoys it be there to wipe the sweat of their forehead or carry their water.

Be on the lookout around this time next year. Make your mouth feel things you didn't know it could.

No comments:

Post a Comment